From its humble days playing music videos, MTV has continually evolved from its original idea of 24/7 music, to creating innovative and iconic programming such as TRL, Singled out, YO! MTV Raps, Beavis & Butthead, Daria, The Real World and The Hills, to more recent hits Teen Mom and The Jersey Shore. It was MTV who were at the fore front again with the influx of reality shows that became popular this decade, and they are now responsible for a network of stations from VH-1 to MTV2 to variations worldwide.
Some things you may not know about MTV.....
- MTV launched on August 1st 1981 with the words "Ladies and gentlemen, rock and roll," spoken by John Lack, and played over footage of the first Space Shuttle launch countdown of Columbia.
- The first music video shown on MTV was The Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star"
- In 1985, in protest against the station, the Dead Kennedys released a song in 1985 titled "MTV, Get Off The Air"
- The first MTV Video Music Awards show aired in 1984
- The MTV logo was designed in 1981 by Manhattan Design, a collective formed by Frank Olinsky
- In 2010, a study by the GLAD found that of 207.5 hours of prime time programming on MTV, 42% included content reflecting the lives of gay, bisexual and transgendered people.
- The channel's most popular image and branding campaign, "I want my MTV!," was launched in 1982
In celebration of their history of awesome programming MTV are launching 'Retro-Mania', showing select episodes of Daria, The Hills and Laguna Beach from 9am-12pm until August 3rd!! Nice!!!
|Junk Food Hamburger tee and Legs MTV tees|
|Retro MTV beach party Junk Food tee|
|MTV kisses tee and checkered MTV slub tank|
|Judah Friedlander in Junk Food MTV hamburger tee in this month's Maxim magazine|